The U.S. Department of State has created a new website to provide information on the proposed relocation of the U.S. Embassy in London from Mayfair to Battersea.
This excellent site provides considerable information on all aspects of the move, including the new site, transport and access, planning applications, phase one consultation, key themes and the next steps in the process.
Of particular interest to Hotel Rafayel are the reasons for the American government's decision to move its London embassy to Battersea:
* Its proximity to the heart of London
* Its proximity to major transport interchanges
* Its proximity to the river and the views both up and downstream
* The support for the regeneration of the whole area, including Wandsworth Borough Council, the Mayor and the Greater London Authority
* The opportunity for the new Embassy to act as a catalyst for the wider regeneration of the area
Importantly, the U.S. Department of State is committed to ensuring the new Embassy building meets the highest standards in sustainability; it has therefore set a target of achieving a BREEAM Excellent rating in the design brief which will be provided to the appointed design team.
Hotel Rafayel is delighted that the American Embassy has demonstrated such a strong commitment to the regeneration of Battersea. With the launch of Hotel Rafayel, the redevelopment of Battersea Power Station and various other local initiatives and development projects, we are seeing the transformation of the area into one of London's most exciting, modern and dynamic districts.
The New Embassy for London web site may be viewed here.